Friday, March 4, 2011

How to Write - 100,016 words


This morning I passed a certain milestone in my own journey discovering how to write.  I set a goal in March of 2010 to complete 100,000 words of my current novel by December.  While I did not achieve my goal by December, I did early this morning.  I knew last night as I wrote to word 99,104 that tomorrow could be the day.  I got up early and around 7:00 am passed the 100,000 word mark.

Now, in the interest of full disclosure, I probably have 25,000 words that need to be rewritten out of the book, 25,000 words that need to be added to complete the story, and several rewrites left.  But I am thrilled about the micro-achievement of simply getting 100,000 words into one story.  With every 100,000 words, I hope I will get closer and closer to knowing how to write a novel that is both compelling and universally appreciated.  Not too much to ask, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment